Sunday 26 May 2013

My “Faith on Sunday”

Ancient mercies
“God’s creation of the world out of nothing should always surprise and delight us. If God is his own happiness, He is absolutely complete to Himself. He has no need to crate anything, and yet He creates the world. It was a supremely free act and reveals to us a significant and consoling fact about God’s nature: He is playful! The closest analogy most of us have for God’s creative act is play. Strictly speaking, play’s primary end is play. In other words, its primary end is not outside itself, and in this way is analogous to creation. We may catch a glimpse of the nature of God’s will at each moment of time, if we consider God’s act of creation , and his holding everything in being, as pure play.”
All I can say to the above is “+1,” which fills me with delight since I far prefer supporting another’s views than being critical of them. What heightens my joy further is that this, great, presentation of an important aspect of God’s creativity (it’s gratuity and its being an unnecessary end in itself, and therefore like play) was published last Sunday in the “Our Faith on Sunday”’s “Faith and Reason” column, which I have criticized here extensively in the past. While I previously distanced myself from it vehemently,1 I can now wholeheartedly count myself among its supporters.2



1 For all my posts relating to this column - the previous seven of which were categorically critical, please, see here.
2 I would like to thank my besties PC, ML, KM, PM and JM for encouraging and transmitting the gist of my criticisms to the newsletter’s publishers. Without claiming that that had anything to do with their change of approach of the “Faith and Reason” column (and, I am guessing, author too - due to the dramatic change of tone, the greatly heightened consonance with what the Church’s magisterium have been saying for decades and the column’s revisiting of previously covered ground - last Sunday’s issue having discussed the same topic as the 31st March one), I am still grateful to them for having turned analysis into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment